It is believed that the Castle was built on the site of an earlier Geraldine demesne manor (later owned by O’Sullivans) during the late fourteenth or early fifteenth century by the McCarthys, one of the Kings of Desmond. During the Cromwellian wars the Castle was disabled to prevent the Irish from using it as a fortification.
Located on the outskirts of Glenbeigh, associated with the Winns, who were Landlords (Baron Headley). Building started on Headley Towers, also known as Wynnes Folly in 1867 and the castle was burned down in 1922 during the war of independence.
Late 18th Century Castle built by the Bland family who were Landlords in the area at that time.